The Occupy Movement is the largest mass movement in the US since the Vietnam War. No doubt, because of the economy it will be around at least up until the election of 2012. The obvious question is how should we, as African people relate to it? I would posit that we can and should play a leading role in it, but only under certain conditions.
1. African People get involved as an Independent Interest Group with pre-determined Principles of Unity and Principles of Cooperation. Our interests should be defined by our group interests and humanitarian concerns, and with clearly enunciated goals and objectives.
2. Economic Parity in the Marketplace
3. Serious consideration of Reparations for African people for slavery and colonialism.
4. Enforcement of Environmental Regulations
5. Laws which adequately address the wealth gap, equitable distribution of wealth, and a progressive tax system which requires the 1% to pay a fair share of the tax burden (trickle down economics is a Ponzi Scheme).
6. No US involvement on African Soil without Advice and Consent of designated Black Political Institutions, selected by the Progressive Black Community.
7. The Education System in this country be totally revamped in the best interests of all students, and not just designed to favor the rich.
8. States be restricted from requiring any special qualification to vote in violation of the Constitution.
9. Arts programs be returned to our schools and community supported programs be funded for Arts Development, as this is critical for Youth Development and Growth.
10. Community Based Advisory Groups be established and empowered, to monitor activities of the banking, mortgage, re-districting, labor and transportation sectors of this country.
I WOULD CONSIDER THIS ESSENTIAL TERMS FOR BLACKS TO BECOME ENGAGED IN THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT. I WOULD INVITE COMMENT, REVISION, AND/OR ADDITION TO THESE TERMS WHICH SHOULD BE DISTRIBUTED TO BLACK CHURCHES AROUND THE COUNTRY AS WELL AS IN AFRICA, THE CARIB, AND SOUTH AMERICA.