Thursday, June 20, 2013
AFRICAN CENTERED HEALTH, MEDICINE AND WELLNESS: A PROPOSED DRAFT FOR FILM/APP PROJECT by Mwalimu W. Kabaila
This Film/App Project has several purposes in mind, which form a synergy of sorts.
1. First, we hope to give some definition and direction for the Wholistic and Integrative Health Care Movement going on in the Pan African communities around the Globe. In doing so, we aspire for this film project to become a promotion for such a movement which would take our health care systems out of a profit driven system, and make them more people centered.
2. This films' contribution towards the objectives above is to bring together a consortium of Masters from their respective fields, all of which are heavily impactful in the Health Field as define it in the Global African Community. Our peoples health is too vital of a concern to allow others to define it, and establish the content and parameters which we institute as a matter of Self Determination and Sovereign Right. Thus, we take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience of known Masters in our Global Community in an effort to form consensus and organization in this Health Movement.
3. We seek the understanding that the Wholistic Health Movement occurring in African communities around the globe is not happening in isolation, but is part of a larger Movement for Cultural Liberation and the right and responsibility to define, defend and develop our collective interests as free, proud and productive peoples. In this regard, this Film Project seeks to institute a set of standard policies and practices which can help guide, shape and give direction for this movement in a wholesome and culturally relevant manner.
4. Towards this end, we have assembled Masters in their respective fields, to demonstrate an bring their unique contributions to building a Unified Health System to African Communities Globally. Health in African communities is not a stand alone discipline, but is integrated into the cultural fabric, and thus, draws from many other disciplines, such as song, dance, art, drum, martial arts, spoken word, yoga and even literature.
A. This film/app project will feature at least 4 very prominent Masters in their field who will offer practical and integrative guides to how their respective disciplines contribute to an African centered Health Policy and Practices. They will emphasize the very unique cultural context in which the health aspects of their disciplines seek to integrate with others, thus forming a synergy and symbiosis of sorts, of African Wholisitic Medicine.These key areas will focus on the role of Martial Arts, Yoga, Nutrition (Food as Medicine), and Herbology, and how, together these shape a Matrix of African Centered Medical Policy and Praxis. As of this writing, we are fortunate to have the participation of Shaha Mfundishi Maasi, one of the most highly acclaimed Martial Art Masters in our Community. We are fortunate to have the contribution of Master Yogi, Yirser Ra Hotep, an expert in Kemetic Yoga. We hope to secure confirmation on other Masters within the next couple of weeks. Our Film Producer will be none other than, Khalil Maasi, and master in his own right, and one who will bring creative genious to this project.
B. A unique quality of this project is its synergistic character which brings together a number of disciplines which interact in a symbiotic manner to produce policy and practices which can and will shape the institutional foundation of the African National Community. This project will reveal the interaction of our health and creative communities in ways we don't see in other communities. We hope for this film project to not only be informative, but also entertaining and instructive in the models and paradigms presented.
PROPOSED DRAFT OF AFRICAN CENTERED HEALTH POLICY AND PRACTICES:
IMHOTEP HEALTH AND WELLNESS POLICY: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE (AS PROPOSED BY THE CONGRESS OF AFRICAN PEOPLE)
1. FOOD IS OUR MEDICINE, NOT DRUGS!! THEREFORE, WE RECOGNIZE A DIVINE RELATIONSHIP WITH ORGANIC FOOD FROM THE EARTH, NOT TO BE REGULATED BY ALIEN MEN OR LAWS. SOUL FOOD SHOULD BE REDEFINED AS RAW ORA. VEGAN AND FISH OR FOWL IN MODERATION.
2. ANY EFFECTIVE HEALTH CARE DELIVERY SYSTEM, MUST BE NEED BASED AND PEOPLE DRIVEN, AND NOT MOTIVATED BY PROFIT.
3. HEALTH CARE IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEGE.
4. IN THE IMHOTEP SYSTEM, PREVENTION IS PRIMARY AND FUNDAMENTAL; SURGERY AND OTHER OPTIONS ARE SECONDARY. THUS, WHOLISTIC MEDICINE IS GIVEN EQUAL VALUE AS INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE, WHERE EACH ARE DETERMINED BY NEED.
5. PAN AFRICAN UNIVERSITIES ISSUING DOCTORAL, PA AND NURSING DEGREES, MUST DEVELOP STANDARDIZED CURRICULI, SUCH THAT GRADUATES CAN PRACTICE ANYWHERE IN THE PAN AFRICAN WORLD WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION AND/OR PREJUDICE.
6. UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL WHEREVER AFRICAN PEOPLE RESIDE. THIS IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT.
7. SPIRITUALITY IS RECOGNIZED AS AN ESSENTIAL COMPONENT OF HEALTH CARE IN THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY. RECOGNITION OF THE BODY AS A TEMPLE IS A DIVINE CONCEPT, AND THEREFORE HEALTH AND WELLNESS BECOME FORMS OF WORSHIP.
1. EVERY MORNING SHALL BE MET WITH A FORM OF EXERCISE, MEDITATION AND OR PRAYER, GIVING RECOGNITION TO THE DIVINITY WHICH RESIDES IN EACH OF US. THESE CAN BE DONE IN COLLECTIVE OR PERSONAL SETTINGS, THOUGH THE FORMER IS PREFERRED, (E.G.TAI CHI IN ASIAN CULTURE).
2. WELLNESS CLINICS SHALL BE ESTABLISHED IN EACH COMMUNITY, AND CAN BE RUN BY HEALTH PRACTITIONERS WHO ARE LICENSED BY AN AFRICAN BOARD OR A CERTIFIED QUEEN MOTHER PROGRAM.
3. ALL FORMS OF MEDIA SOURCES SHALL BE USED TO EDUCATE OUR COMMUNITIES IN MATTERS OF HEALTH AND WELLNESS, BASED ON THE PRINCIPLES ABOVE.
4. BICYLCLE, YOGA, MARTIAL ARTS, MASSAGE, WALKING CLUBS SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED AND NETWORKS ESTABLISHED BETWEEN GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATIONS AND TRIBAL/NATIONS TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION AND/OR TECHNIQUES DEVELOPED.
5. THE GROWING AND USE OF HERBS IN MEDICINE IS A SACRED PRACTICE IN THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY AND A SYSTEM OF PASSING ITS KNOWLEDGE FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION MUST BE ESTABLISHED.
6. AROMATHERAPY, ACUPUNCTURE, CRYSTALS, AND OTHER MODALITIES CAN BE INCORPORATED INTO OUR SYSTEM, BUT INTRODUCED IN CULTURAL CONTEXT WHERE THERE VALUE IS MEASURED AS A COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE, NOT DEFINED BY ALIEN INTERESTS.
7. SONG, DANCE, DRUMMING AND INSTRUMENTS SUCH AS THE KORO, AND THUMB PIANO ALSO HAVE THERAPEUDIC VALUE BASED ON THEIR VIBRATORY INTONATIONS AND HARMONIC MELODIES.
NOTE: This proposed draft is open to revision and/or critique to ensure maximum consensus.