1. The first wife, and each wife after must agree to adding another, and should be involved in the decision of who the additional wife should be. This is empowering to the women and shows them the respect they deserve. Women must have equal weight in the decision making process of any and all family matters, and consensus must be a part of this process.
2. The wives must commit to becoming friends and sisters to one another, to reduce any need for any one or more to compete with the other.
3. Each one in the family must have a defined role and function in the family. IN my family, concept, one wife would be responsible for the Home and House management. This may also involve caring for a garden, to grow our own food. Another will manage affairs of the children, though all are responsible for parenting. Another will work part time as she is a Computer Engineer, and would also work with me in taking care of Family Business Affairs.
4. There is no hierarchy among the children, and each adult is parent to all of the children, thus providing multiple role models.
5. All revenues coming in to the family go into a pool or joint account to pay all family bills. The residual revenue is divided equally and goes into a Trust Account for each family member. If one chooses to leave, they take their trust with them.
6. The family as a unit seeks to build a support system around the family which shares values and/or practices which serves to re-enforce Extended FAmily principles and ethics, and values.
7. The family must engage in liberational projects as the family is an example of how our cultural nation should function, thus, building communal and collective institutions which are people focused, rather than profit motivated. As an extended family, practicing cooperative economics and communal living, these concepts can be transferred to the building of a larger community, and in fact, the Nation Building process. In this conceptual framework, the family becomes a liberational project in itself.
The conceptual basis for the considerations above, is that Extended Family is first for the Empowerment of Women, not the whims, greed or desires of men; EF is a social institution which primary purpose it to rebuilt the strength of the Black Family; EF is an economic unit which re-enforces the concept of Community and Cooperative Economics; EF is a liberational project which contributes to Nation Building in the Global Pan African context.